- May I bring my significant other or family member to my consultation appointment?
- Of course you may bring a spouse, family member, or friend to your rhinoplasty consultation appointment. We welcome guests as long as you are comfortable.
- What do I need to avoid before the surgery?
- You will be provided with a list of medications to avoid starting 10 days prior to surgery. This list includes many different medications along with alcohol and tobacco; however, the most common medications that you must avoid are: NSAIDS (Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Aleve), vitamins, diet medications, and any blood thinners (like Warfarin or Coumadin).
- How long will I have bruising and/or swelling?
- This varies from patient to patient as each individual will recover at his or her own pace. However, it is common to have bruising for the first 1-2 weeks. The swelling will be at its peak at day 3 after surgery and typically starts to go down after that. It is important to avoid direct sunlight while you still have bruising as it can lengthen the recovery time significantly.
- Do I need to have someone drive me home?
- You will need to arrange a responsible adult to drive you to and from your nose surgery. The surgery center will not release you home by yourself or to a taxi driver.
- Do I need to have someone spend the night with me and for how long?
- Yes, you must have someone stay with you for at least the first 24 hours following surgery.
- What will I look like right after having a rhinoplasty procedure?
- After your procedure, you will be able to go home the same day. An external splint is placed to protect your nose after having surgery and internal splints may be placed at the same time. It is imperative to keep these splints dry at all times and to avoid any manipulation. You will have a drip pad taped under your nostrils and this is the only part of the dressing you may change.
Most patients change this as needed and after it becomes soiled.
- How can I prepare for my recovery at home after having surgery?
- You can prepare your house with a comfortable place for you to sleep with your head elevated at a 45 degree angle for your first week after surgery. You can do this by sleeping in a recliner chair or by sleeping with a couple of pillows under your head.
- How many follow-ups after that?
- Typically, you are seen at one week post-op, three months post-op, and one year post-op. Any additional visits are welcome; however, they are not required by Dr. Ramin Behmand.
- When may I take a shower?
- You may not shower until your nasal splints are removed. This can be anywhere from 6-10 days after surgery. You are welcome to take a sponge bath; however, you must avoid getting your face or splints wet. This includes being careful when washing your face.
- How long should I ice my nose after surgery?
- It is recommended that you ice for 36 hours following surgery (1.5 days).
Icing for any longer after this period is discouraged and will not allow you to heal any quicker.
- Can I wear makeup after having a rhinoplasty procedure?
- Once the splint is removed from your nose, approximately 6-10 days following surgery, you may begin to cover up any residual bruising with makeup. At this point it is safe to begin wearing any other makeup, including foundation and powder.
- When may I wash my hair?
- You will need to wait until after the splint is removed as you cannot shower. Unless you are able to have someone wash it for you in a sink without getting your face wet, we ask that you wait until your first post-operative appointment with Dr. Behmand and your splint is removed.
- When may I start exercising again?
- This will be determined by Dr. Behmand after your surgery and is based on each individual patient. However, the typical timeframe is 4 weeks after surgery. It is important not to raise your heart rate from aerobic activity after having surgery as this can prolong your recovery and slow the dissipation of swelling in and around your nose.
- How long do I need to take off work?
- Ideally, you will want to take at least 1 week off of work and can return to any non-strenuous job after the splint removal. Any residual bruising can usually be covered with concealer.
- Can I combine having a rhinoplasty surgery with other procedures?
- The rhinoplasty procedure is often combined with other procedures. The most popular is a genioplasty (chin reshaping) and /or facelift. So long as you are healthy, it is often safe to combine more than one procedure.
- When can I wear sunglasses?
- You will need to avoid sunglasses & reading glasses for 8 weeks following surgery. You are able to wear contact lenses and will be able to put them in as soon as you feel comfortable enough following surgery. Wearing glasses before it is recommended may affect the final contour of your nose. Please do not drive during this period if you are unable to wear your prescription glasses.
- How long can I expect to be in recovery?
- During the first forty-eight hours you should plan on staying in bed with your head elevated. The bruising and swelling around your eyes and nose will increase at first and start to dissipate after reaching a peak about two or three days after surgery. Most of the swelling and bruising is gone about seven to ten days later but can last up to even a year later.
- Will I have scars after the rhinoplasty procedure?
- Most scars will be unnoticed as a result of having a closed rhinoplasty, where the scar is made inside the nose. Some rhinoplasty procedures require an “open” approach and a very small scar will be made at the base of the nose. Once healing is complete, the scar will be very small and difficult to identify.
- Am I a candidate for surgery?
- There are very few contraindications for having rhinoplasty surgery. After your consultation with Dr. Behmand and before your scheduled procedure, we will send you to have your blood drawn – and an EKG as well, in some cases – to make sure you are healthy before having surgery. It is important to mention any health issues that you have/had during your consultation with Dr. Behmand.
- How much does a rhinoplasty procedure cost?
- There are several variables that go into giving a quote for cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery. The average cost of a rhinoplasty procedure with Dr. Behmand starts at $10,000. Of course many factors can determine a different price, including changes in anesthesiologist fees, facility fees, if you have trouble breathing, and if your insurance company is involved, etc. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the costs of rhinoplasty.
Contact Dr. Behmand
If you would like more information, or if you would like to schedule a consultation to discuss your rhinoplasty options with Dr. Behmand, please contact us today.