Post-Operative Do’s and Don’ts
After surgery you will need to:
- Absolutely keep your splint dry (no steamy showers/baths, cleaning with cotton swabs).
- Sleep with your head elevated at a 45 degree angle.
- Eat something every time you take pain medication to avoid nausea.
- Apply an ice pack to your nose and eyes in the first 24 hours, only.
- Change the drip pad under your nose as you need to and when it gets soiled. This can be removed if your nose is no longer draining.
To protect the outcome of your surgery:
- DO NOT apply ointment to the nose or incisions.
- DO NOT wash or touch the area around the tip of your nose or pull on your nostrils.
- DO NOT blow your nose or try to keep the inside of the nose clean.
- DO NOT drive a car until you have stopped taking pain medication and are comfortable without it.
- DO NOT exercise or elevate your heart rate for a full 4-6 weeks after surgery, or until given clearance by Dr. Behmand.
- DO NOT wear sunglasses or regular glasses for at least 8 weeks after surgery.
Please refer to your complete post-op instructions given to you at your pre-op. These instructions can also be found on Dr. Behmand’s website, under the ‘Patient Information’ tab. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 925.939.9200 so we may assist you.